Friday, April 6, 2018

Guided Volksmarch April 21 at 1 PM!

Volkssporting by Shirley Cornelius, Whitman County Library Business Manager
Once upon a time, 30 years ago I took up Volkssporting as a way of spending time with my Mom and sister. That first experience led me to become involved with a Volkssporting club in Spokane where I eventually rose to the President’s office.

During that time, I met the man who would later become my husband. Brian was back in the states after time spent in the Air Force in Germany. And, he was also an avid Volkssporter. 

Over the next two years, Brian and I traveled the Northwest and Canada together walking as many as 30 kilometers (18 miles) in one day. We also started organizing Volkswalks and in preparing for a walk up Steptoe Butte, Brian proposed to me. Over the years we have taken our kids walking wherever we have traveled including Germany where Brian first began the sport. 

"Volkssporting" is the official name for noncompetitive walks, hikes, bike rides, swims, cross-country skiing and snow shoeing. The movement began in Europe in 1968 and has spread to 28 countries worldwide.

With all joy that Volkssporting has brought to my life, I’m especially excited to host a guided walk in Colfax on Saturday, April 21. The walk leaves Colfax library at 1 PM and all levels of walkers are encouraged to walk 5K or 10K.  
During the walk, participants will learn more about the historic sites in Colfax including the Perkins House, St. Ignatius Manor and a number of architectural treasures in the downtown core. In the spirit of volksmarching, German inspired refreshments will be served after the walk. The event is free and no registration required!

For additional information, contact Shirley Cornelius at Whitman County Library 509-397-4366. For additional information about the club and other local walks visit www.lilaccityvolks.com or the national AVA website address is www.ava.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment